Creamy Corn and Cucumber Salad
I belong to a food co-op where I make a monetary donation which entitles me to a big basket of fresh fruits and vegetables. This week’s basket had in it (among other things), corn on the cob, cucumbers, roma tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and lemons. It seemed to me that corn salad would be a tasty side dish. So, utilizing my bountiful basket of veggies I made this recipe for Creamy Corn and Cucumber Salad.
What I like most about this combination of ingredients is the smoky flavor of cumin and the cool sensation of cucumber.
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1 roma tomato - seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup cucumber – peeled and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers - finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- black pepper to taste
- 1 or 2 fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- canola oil
- Shuck the corn and lightly coat it with canola oil
- Char the corn in a hot skillet (cast iron works best)
- Turn the corn every 6 or 7 minutes for a total of about 20 minutes
- Cucumber, tomato, jalapeno, mint leaves, mayonnaise, cumin, black pepper and lemon zest
- Cut the kernels off the cob and add to bowl
- Mix well, refrigerate and serve cold.
- I use cast iron because it can withstand very high heat and I use canola oil for the same reason.
- photos by: Candy-Dor
Daily Two Cents http://dailytwocents.com/