Hormones are chemical or substances produced in the body and has a target elsewhere. Plant hormones are called ‘phytohormones.’ There are five major plant hormones that affect plants both positively and negatively.
1. Auxins: a plant hormone that promotes plant elongation and inhibits the growth of lateral buds.
2. Gibberellins: a positive hormone that encourages seed germination and flower maturation.
3. Cytokinins: promotes cell growth and division
4. Abscisic Acid: it affects plants negatively because it promotes seed dormancy and inhibits cell growth.
5. Ethylene: a very good hormone that cause fruits to ripen fast.
Plants can’t do without these chemical substances which promote or prevents plant growth. Give your plants the right nutrients.